The Niger State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has confirmed that 227 people — including pupils, students, and teachers — were abducted when bandits invaded St. Mary’s Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area, during a deadly overnight raid carried out between 2am and 3am on Friday, November 21.
Earlier figures had been uncertain, but a statement released Friday evening by Daniel Atori, media aide to the CAN chairman in the state, Most Rev. Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, clarified that the abducted victims comprise 215 pupils and students and 12 teachers.
Yohanna, who is also the Catholic Bishop of Kontagora Diocese, said he had just returned from the village after visiting the school and meeting with distraught parents. He assured families that CAN is working closely with government officials, security agencies, and community leaders to ensure the safe rescue of the children and teachers.
“I have just got back to the village this night after I visited the school where I also met with parents of the children to assure them that we are working with the government and security agencies to see that our children are rescued and brought back safely,” the statement read.
He added that some students managed to escape during the attack, and parents have since taken home those who were found. The development, he said, forced the school to shut down completely.
Yohanna appealed for calm and urged the public to remain prayerful as search and rescue efforts intensify. “I want to assure you that we are actively collaborating with security operatives, community leaders, and government authorities for the safe and quick return of all abductees. May the Lord grant quick release to those abducted and continue to protect His people from all dangers,” he added.
Earlier on Friday, the Niger State government disclosed that the school had reopened without official approval, despite directives advising all boarding schools in the area to suspend operations due to rising security threats.
The attack comes just days after gunmen abducted 25 female students from Government Girls Secondary School in Maga, Kebbi State — a development that has further heightened fears across northern Nigeria as incidents of school abductions continue to surge.
